Ok, I am weird. Words are so fascinating to me. What cracks me up is the way people misuse language - making up their own words, mispronouncing words, and being generally redundant or peculiar. Then, there's my quirk of having certain words cause me to shudder. Whatever it is, I just don't like the sound of some. So here are some interesting ones for your reading pleasure.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Made-up Words

These type of words are just caused by people who truly do not know these are not words, or those who are too lazy to care. I have noticed a growing trend of just throwing a "ness" on the end of a word and thinking that is legitimate.

comfortness - did you mean comfort?
comfortability - again... did you mean comfort?
grammarically - yikes... grammatically?
irregardless - how about regardless? This one is a "real word," but definitely not preferred.
uncomfortableness - how about discomfort?
spiritualness - spirituality might work there.
sublinial - subliminal
hecticness - this might be real, but it just sounds awkward
amplitheater - while it's true that a theatre is designed to amplify sound...amphitheatre is the word you wanted.
misunderestimate - this is a Bushism. I think he was going for underestimate.
embetterment - another Bushism. Perhaps betterment?
strategery - my favorite Bushism. I use it often in jest.

Please feel free to comment and we will add words to the list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home